Discussion forum

Calligraphy Qalam Forum » General Questions

Painting letters on canvas

  (5 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by Crzdmolvi
  • Latest reply from Salim-Bouterfas
  1. Crzdmolvi

    Hi, iv been practising arabic calligraphy for over 3yrs and i want to start making canvases as all my friends request me to do. But i dnt kno wat type of brushes i need. Can any1 help me on this problem. I live in England in a small town and theres not much variety here. Can any1 tell me what tools i need and wer i can buy them from. Thnx

    Posted 9 years ago #
  2. JoshBerer

    You actually don't use brushes, you use pens made from reeds and bamboo. I sell all variety of pens and inks specifically for Arabic and Islamic calligraphy and I ship to the UK all the time. If you're interested, email me at arabic.calligrapher(AT)gmail(DOT)com. I'll send you pictures and prices.

    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Crzdmolvi

    Hi, thanks josh for ur reply, but i tried using a reed and bamboo on a canvas and i didnt get anywhere. I dont want t use a marker, i want t use PAINT, and For paint i need the correct paint brush. Can any1 help me in this matter n tell me whch brush i need and where i can buy it from. Thanx

    Posted 9 years ago #
  4. calligraphy_learner


    For painting letters on Canvas I normally use Nylon Flat brush and round Liner brush. Angle Shader is also good. You can buy them from London Graphic Centre. Here is the link http://www.londongraphics.co.uk

    It is not as easy as you draw with the reed pen, because the brush tips are straight edge and flexible. You really have to take your time with each letter. For crisp edges I use the 0 size liner brush. Hope that help.

    Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Hello,
    I use a reed or bamboo to calligraphy on canevas, but the stoke isn't very large.
    Look at this piece of mine, and tell me if it's the render you want ?


    I've used indian ink & acrylic and a white gesso to prepare the canvas.
    This last point was important, for me, to have a smooth painting (calligraphy) surface.
    Hope this helps you.
    Best regards.

    Salim bouterfas
    - - - - - - - - -

    Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic


You must log in to post.